Descendants of Balazs Koenig
Generation No. 1
1. BALAZS1 KOENIG died Unknown. He married ANNA SETIESOK. She died Unknown.
Children of BALAZS KOENIG and ANNA SETIESOK are:
2. i. FERDINAND2 KOENIG, b. 15 Dec 1891, Budapest, Hungary; d. 24 Aug 1938, 24_40 28th Street, Astoria, New York.
ii. BROTHER KOENIG, d. Unknown.
Notes for BROTHER KOENIG:
Brother Koenig wanted Margaret Veronica Koenig to come back to Hungary to work__probably as a servant, where he owned a tobacco store in Budapest.
Generation No. 2
2. FERDINAND2 KOENIG (BALAZS1) was born 15 Dec 1891 in Budapest, Hungary, and died 24 Aug 1938 in 24_40 28th Street, Astoria, New York. He married MARGARET BEDNARIK 26 Oct 1912 in New York City, daughter of JOSEPH BEDNARIK and ANNA SIMON. She was born 12 Jul 1894 in Budapest, Hungary, and died 28 Feb 1964 in Queens General Hospital, Jamaica, New York.
Notes for FERDINAND KOENIG:
Ferdinand Koenig was a custom tailor for a company that provided clothes to NYC Mayor Jimmy Walker. He made vests. He worked very hard to support 4 children. The family took summer vacations away from the city in the Catskill Mountains. In Polk's 1918 New York City Book, Ferdinand Koenig is shown as a tailor residing at 304 E 92 Street, Yorkville, Manhattan, New York. Based on the 1910 Federal Census, Ferdinand emmigrated to the United States in 1907__the same year his cousin Rudoph Krapes (whom he lived with on April 28, 1910) and family emmigrated.
|Ferdinand Koenig in 1911|
According to Ferdinand Koenig's Death Certificate number 5804 State of New York, he was in the United States for 35 years, and was a tailor for 35 years (meaning he started this occupation when he arrived in the United States in 1903 at age 12). However, the 1910 Federal Census shows Ferdinand living with his cousin Rudolp Krapes at 230 East 10th Street, New York, NY; and arriving in the United States in 1907 (the same date all the Krapes Family arrived). It also indicated he was 48 at the time of his death which means he was born in 1890 which is the date on his grave stone. I do not know where I obtained December 15, 1891, from.
1910 Federal Census shows following individuals living at 230 East 10th Street, NYC, NY, on April 28, 1910
1) Krapes, Rudolph, Head, M W, age 33, Married for 7 years, birthplace in Hungary (mother and father born in Hungary), Emmigrated in 1907, Alien, speaks Hungarian, Tailor in a store, reads and writes, rents home.
2) Krapes, ?? Wife, F W, age 25, Married for 7 years, birthplace in Hungary (mother and father born in Hungary), Emmigrated in 1907, speaks Hungarian, no occupation, reads and writes.
3) Krapes, Victor, Son, M W, age 6, Unmarried, birthplace in Hungary, Emmigrated in 1907, attended school any time since Sept 1, 1909.
4) Krapes, Bella (equivalent to Albert), Son, M W, age 1 6/12 (born October 1909), Unmarried, bithplace New York,
5) Koenig, Ferdinand, Cousin, M W, age 20, Single, birthplace in Hungary (mother and father born in Hungary), Emmigrated in 1907, speaks Hungarian, Tailor in a store, reads and writes and attended school any time since Sept 1, 1909.
Source: 1910 Federal Census, 17 Ward, Manhattan, Role 1034 1 250B, ED 937, Sheet 16B, line 88, address 230 East 10th Street, New York City, New York.
Ferdinand Koenig, Margaret (Bednarik) Koenig, and Children in 1920
1920 Federal Census shows following individuals living at 304 East 92nd Street, NYC, NY, on 3 January 1920
1) Koenig, Fred (head, age 29 _ _ born in 1891, arrived in USA is unknown, listed as an alien, born in Hungary speaking German, mother and father both Hungarian speaking German, occupation tailor)
2) Koenig, Margaret (wife, age 27 _ _ born in 1893 [death certifcate shows birthdate as 1894], arrived in USA is unknown [however based on her mother and sisters, to include her, she arrived in 1905__this is confirmed by the 1910 Federal Census], listed as an alien, born in Hungary speaking German, mother and father both Hungarian speaking German)
3) Koenig, Margaret (daughter, age 7 _ _ born in 1913 in the United States), Fred (son, age 5 _ _ born 1915 in the United States)
4) Koenig, William (son, age 3 _ _ born in 1917 in the United States)
5) Koenig, Edward (son, age 1 _ _ born in 1919 in the United States].
Source: 1920 Federal Census, Role 1216, Vol 271, ED 1166, Sheet 11, Line 6, address 304 East 92nd Street.
According to Ferdinand Koenig (living at 260 E 10 Street) and Margaret Bednarik's (living at 333 E 95 Street) Marriage Certificate number 26537 State of New York, he was married at City Hall, New York City, on October 26, 1912. Witnesses were John Java and Rudolf Krapes. According to the 1910 Census, Rudolf Krapes was Ferdinand Koenig's cousin where they lived at 230 East 10th Street, New York, NY. In about 1928, Ferdinand was hospitalized in the Bronx, New York, and requested a Catholic marriage which was performed at the hospital.
More About FERDINAND KOENIG:
Burial: 26 Aug 1938, Flushing Cemetery, Flushing, New York, Section KPC Grave 3682
Cause of Death: Suicide caused by hanging himself to the transom of the bedroom door
Naturalization: 14 Nov 1927, Petition # 97238
Notes for MARGARET BEDNARIK:
Margaret Bednarik came to the United States from Budapest, Hungary, as an 8th Grader with her mother, Anna, sister, Anna, and new born sister Elizabeth Bednarik in 1905 according to the 1920 Census records (shown under notes for Joseph Bednarik). Elizabeth's birth date of May 22, 1904, comes from Elizabeth's Social Security Death Record. According to Margaret's mother, Anna's, Death Certificate number 5174, State of New York, Anna was in the United States for 32 years before she died (meaning she arrived in 1904_5 time frame at age 35 which agrees with the birth of Elizabeth aboard the ship taking them to the United States), and was a housewife for 40 years. However, based on the 1920 US Federal Census, Elizabeth was born in 1905 in Hungary. According to Margaret V. Koenig Barbi, Elizabeth was born on the ship coming to the United States
New York Passenger Lists, 1820_1957 on Ancestry.com shows: Anna Bednarik age 34, Marit Bednarik age 12, Anna Bednarik age 3, and Elizabeth age blank arrived in New York City onJuly 18, 1905, aboard the SS Kroonland from Antwerp, Belgium (departed Antwerp on July 8, 1905).
From maps of the time, 24 Avenue was originally called Woolsey, and 28th Street was originally called Chauncey Street.
More About MARGARET BEDNARIK:
Burial: 02 Mar 1964, Flushing Cemetery, Flushing, New York, Section KPC Grave 3682
Naturalization: 14 Nov 1940, Petition # 282976 Certificate # 4784279
More About FERDINAND KOENIG and MARGARET BEDNARIK:
Marriage: 26 Oct 1912, New York City
Children of FERDINAND KOENIG and MARGARET BEDNARIK are:
3. i. MARGARET VERONICA3 KOENIG, b. 08 Oct 1913, Yorkville, Manhattan, NY; d. 06 Mar 2005, Anne Arundel Medical Center, Annapolis, Maryland.
4. ii. FRED VICTOR KOENIG, b. 29 May 1915, New York City; d. 04 Feb 1959, Los Angeles, California.
5. iii. WILLIAM WALTER KOENIG, b. 13 Mar 1917, New York Hospital, New York City, New York; d. 29 Jan 1972, New York City.
iv. EDWARD S. KOENIG, b. 13 Mar 1919, New York City; d. 04 Aug 1968, San Francisco, California; m. MARGARET UNKNOWN, Private; b. Private.
More About EDWARD KOENIG and MARGARET UNKNOWN:
Generation No. 3
3. MARGARET VERONICA3 KOENIG (FERDINAND2, BALAZS1) was born 08 Oct 1913 in Yorkville, Manhattan, NY, and died 06 Mar 2005 in Anne Arundel Medical Center, Annapolis, Maryland. She married MARIO ALFREDO BARBI 18 Aug 1935 in St. Sebastians' RC Church, Woodside, Long Island, NY, son of ANTONIO BARBI and CAROLINA SERRA. He was born 05 Mar 1912 in 105 Graham Avenue, Long Island City, New York, and died 06 Apr 1983 in 141_07 73 Avenue, Flushing, New York.
Margaret V. Barbi in 1998
Notes for MARGARET VERONICA KOENIG:
Margaret Koenig was born at home on East 10th Street in 1913, and went to the New York Eye and Ear Hospital for care after her birth to have her tonsils removed after her birth. By 1918, her family had moved to 304 East 92nd Street. Baptismal Certificate and derived Birth Certificate number 28828 State of New York show birth date of October 8, 1913. Margaret assures her birth date is really October 12, 1913, which she has always celebrated. Margaret attended Julia Richman High School (an all_girls school then) on 68th Street and 1st Avenue. Margaret lived on 92nd Street in Yorkville. For 5 cents she could take the subway to get to school. Sometime she'd save her nickel to buy ice cream by walking home.
In the early 1930's Margaret earned $18 per week as a stenographer (typing/shorthand) for a male boss in downtown Brooklyn for the Lester Piano Company. Lester Piano was a Pennsylvania firm that had stores on the East coast. This money helped her family during the hard times of the Depression.
In 1939, Margaret moved into her current home at 141_07 73 Avenue, Flushing, New York, also known as Kew Garden Hills, New York. She then worked for Wheeler Shipbuilding in Whitestone, NY, during WW 2, as a secretary. Wheeler Shipbuilding made PT boats. In the early 1940's, Margaret went to work for the Overhead Door Company for a short time. Then her brother, William Koenig, got her a job at Sperry Gyroscope Company in Garden City, Long Island, which built analog computer_controlled bomb sights and ariborne radar systems. Until her retirement in 1978, she was an executive secretary for a number of insurance companies in New York City.
When her son, Kenneth, was born in 1945, she left work to raise him. Her husband, Mario, had been drafted in to the Army where he was assigned to the Signal Corps. Because Margaret had a blood clot during her pregnancy, Doctor Goldstein (attending physician) asked the Red Cross to curtail Mario's assignment to California en route to the Pacific war zone. Mario was assigned to Fort Dix, New Jersey, for the duration of WW 2.
This information was provided orally by Margaret Barbi to Kenneth Barbi on July 24, 2000.
More About MARGARET VERONICA KOENIG:
Baptism: 16 Nov 1913, St. Stephen of Hungary Church, 414 East 82nd Street, New York
Burial: Unknown, Flushing Cemetery, Flushing, New York, Section 31 Grave 2229
Cause of Death: Acute arterial insufficiency left leg, acute renal failure, and atrial fib
Notes for MARIO ALFREDO BARBI:
Mario Barbi met Margaret Koenig at a movie theater in 1930 when Mario was 18 and Margaret was 17 through mutual friends. They dated for 5 years before they got married in 1935. After they married, they moved in with Mario's father (Antonio) and brother (Daniel) at 147_16 15th Drive, Whitestone, New York, and lived their for 1 or 2 years before moving into an apartment in Kew Gardens, New York. Mario's mother Carolina had been committed to an asylum prior to 1935 [actually September 1932 according to Caroline Barbi's death certificate] and did not live in Whitestone at the time. Caroline was put into the asylum because her son, Daniel, was gay, and she couldn't cope with it. In 1939, Mario and Margaret moved to 141_07 73 Avenue, Flushing, New York.
Source: Margaret Barbi, February 2001, and May 2001.
Mario A. Barbi in 1982
After WW 2, Mario worked for John Hancock Insurance Company until his retirement. On the wedding announcement, Mario's middle name is written as Albert. On his Birth Certificate number 1603 State of New York, the birth date is shown as March 6, 1912. Mario always celebrated his birth day on March 6th. On Mario's Baptismal and death certificate his birthday is shown as March 5, 1912. No record at 105 Graham Avenue (where Mario A. Barbi was born in 1912) in 1915 New York Census of any Barbi family living there__page that applies is Block X ED 20, Page 8. See note under Antonio Barbi showing Antonio, Carolina, Mario, and Eunice [Inez] living at 72 Camelia, Astoria, New York, in 1920 US Federal Census. On back of Mario's Baptismal Certificate is the address 147_16 15th Drive, Whitestone, New York, where it is presumed he lived in the 1930's prior to his marriage to Margaret. No record in the 1925 New York Census, of any Barbi family living at 147_16 15th Drive, Whitestone, New York.
More About MARIO ALFREDO BARBI:
Baptism: 06 Oct 1912, Missione di S. Carlo Boromeo 210_214 Bleecker Street, New York
Burial: 09 Apr 1983, Flushing Cemetery, Flushing, New York, Section 31 Grave 2229
More About MARIO BARBI and MARGARET KOENIG:
Marriage: 18 Aug 1935, St. Sebastians' RC Church, Woodside, Long Island, NY
Child of MARGARET KOENIG and MARIO BARBI is:
i. COLONEL, USAF KENNETH WAYNE4 BARBI, b. Private; m. COLONEL, USAF, NC SUSAN JEAN FAY, Private; b. Private.
More About KENNETH BARBI and SUSAN FAY:
4. FRED VICTOR3 KOENIG (FERDINAND2, BALAZS1) was born 29 May 1915 in New York City, and died 04 Feb 1959 in Los Angeles, California. He married LILLIAN FRANCES ROHE 06 Dec 1941. She was born 01 Feb 1915 in Astoria, New York, and died 07 Feb 2006 in Cypress, California.
More About FRED VICTOR KOENIG:
Degree: 05 Jun 1941, Mechanical Engineering, Cooper Union, New York
More About FRED KOENIG and LILLIAN ROHE:
Marriage: 06 Dec 1941
Children of FRED KOENIG and LILLIAN ROHE are:
6. i. LINDELA 'LINDA' DIANE4 KOENIG, b. Private.
7. ii. KAREN FRANCES KOENIG, b. Private.
5. WILLIAM WALTER3 KOENIG (FERDINAND2, BALAZS1) was born 13 Mar 1917 in New York Hospital, New York City, New York, and died 29 Jan 1972 in New York City. He married KATHLEEN MARIE JENSEN 13 Mar 1951. She was born 24 Jul 1923 in Kingston, Jamaica, British West Indies, and died 21 Jan 2006 in Jacksonville, Florida.
Notes for WILLIAM WALTER KOENIG:
Top: Lillian Koenig,
Margaret (Koenig) Rosenfeld, William Koenig, Karen Koenig
Anna Bednarik was a witness at baptism of William Walter Koenig in a Roman Catholic Church.
William Walter Koenig entered the US Army in September 4, 1946, and worked in the test section of V_2 rockets. He performed mechanical and electrical test on the components of the V_2 rockets as a Technician Fifth Grade in the 9393 Technical Service Unit White Sands Proving Grounds.
His education included 4 years of College at the City College of New York receiving a Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering in 1942.
From 1934 _ 1946 he conducted tests on machines and equipment, wrote reports and read blueprints. After his discharge from the Army, he worked as Engineer Designer for International Business Machines Corp.
More About WILLIAM WALTER KOENIG:
Burial: Unknown, Flushing Cemetery, Flushing, NY, Section KPC Grave 7664
Military service: Bet. 04 Sep 1946 _ 06 Apr 1947
More About WILLIAM KOENIG and KATHLEEN JENSEN:
Marriage: 13 Mar 1951
Children of WILLIAM KOENIG and KATHLEEN JENSEN are:
i. WILLIAM JENSEN4 KOENIG, b. 18 Aug 1952, Mount Vernon, Erie County, New York; d. 08 Feb 2002, Daytona Beach, Florida; m. JOAN MARIE BIONELLI, Private; b. Private.
More About WILLIAM KOENIG and JOAN BIONELLI:
8. ii. KATHLEEN DIANE KOENIG, b. Private.
Generation No. 4
6. LINDELA 'LINDA' DIANE4 KOENIG (FRED VICTOR3, FERDINAND2, BALAZS1) was born Private. She married ROGER THOMAS GEYER Private. He was born Private.
More About ROGER GEYER and LINDELA KOENIG:
Children of LINDELA KOENIG and ROGER GEYER are:
9. i. GREGORY 'GREG' THOMAS5 GEYER, b. Private.
ii. BRAD GEYER, b. Private.
7. KAREN FRANCES4 KOENIG (FRED VICTOR3, FERDINAND2, BALAZS1) was born Private. She married MERLIN JAMES 'JIM' STREAMER Private. He was born Private.
More About MERLIN STREAMER and KAREN KOENIG:
Children of KAREN KOENIG and MERLIN STREAMER are:
10. i. SHARON FRANCES5 STREAMER, b. Private.
11. ii. MAYA STREAMER, b. Private.
iii. JIM LITTLEHAWK STREAMER, b. Abt. 1970; d. Abt. 1992.
iv. STORM STREAMER, b. Private.
12. v. JOY STREAMER, b. Private.
8. KATHLEEN DIANE4 KOENIG (WILLIAM WALTER3, FERDINAND2, BALAZS1) was born Private. She married (1) PAT MCDONALD Private. He was born Private. She married (2) PAUL POARCH Private. He was born Private.
More About PAT MCDONALD and KATHLEEN KOENIG:
More About PAUL POARCH and KATHLEEN KOENIG:
Child of KATHLEEN KOENIG and PAT MCDONALD is:
13. i. CHRISTOPHER5 MCDONALD, b. Private.
Children of KATHLEEN KOENIG and PAUL POARCH are:
ii. ALEXANDER LEE5 POARCH, b. 22 Nov 1987, Florida; d. 22 Nov 1987, Florida.
iii. GINNIE MARIE POARCH, b. Private.
iv. SAMANTHA POARCH, b. Private.
Generation No. 5
9. GREGORY 'GREG' THOMAS5 GEYER (LINDELA 'LINDA' DIANE4 KOENIG, FRED VICTOR3, FERDINAND2, BALAZS1) was born Private. He married SHELBY LYN DUFF Private. She was born Private.
More About GREGORY GEYER and SHELBY DUFF:
Children of GREGORY GEYER and SHELBY DUFF are:
i. GRACE6 GEYER, b. Private.
ii. GAVIN GEYER, b. Private.
10. SHARON FRANCES5 STREAMER (KAREN FRANCES4 KOENIG, FRED VICTOR3, FERDINAND2, BALAZS1) was born Private.
Children of SHARON FRANCES STREAMER are:
i. JORDAN6 STREAMER, b. Private.
ii. KYLE STREAMER, b. Private.
iii. SARAH STREAMER, b. Private.
iv. IONA STREAMER, b. Private.
v. KIYA STREAMER, b. Private.
11. MAYA5 STREAMER (KAREN FRANCES4 KOENIG, FRED VICTOR3, FERDINAND2, BALAZS1) was born Private.
Children of MAYA STREAMER are:
i. CHANNEL6 STREAMER, b. Private.
ii. COLTON STREAMER, b. Private.
iii. CHEYAN STREAMER, b. Private.
12. JOY5 STREAMER (KAREN FRANCES4 KOENIG, FRED VICTOR3, FERDINAND2, BALAZS1) was born Private. She married ASHLEY UNKNOWN Private. He was born Private.
More About ASHLEY UNKNOWN and JOY STREAMER:
Child of JOY STREAMER and ASHLEY UNKNOWN is:
i. TALON 'TALI'6 UNKNOWN, b. Private.
13. CHRISTOPHER5 MCDONALD (KATHLEEN DIANE4 KOENIG, WILLIAM WALTER3, FERDINAND2, BALAZS1) was born Private. He married JORDAN JOCELYN Private. She was born Private.
More About CHRISTOPHER MCDONALD and JORDAN JOCELYN:
Child of CHRISTOPHER MCDONALD and JORDAN JOCELYN is:
i. TANNER CRUISE6 MCDONALD, b. Private.
|United States Contact
Ken and Susan Barbi
Contact our webmaster
This page last updated on Thursday, May 01, 2014